Monday, May 31, 2010

I had been transliterating poems from french earlier this year for a school project and ended up trying it again this last quarter. My focus was always on translating from languages that I couldn't read or speak so I thought that it would be great if I could make my translations as inaccessible to someone else as the original work had been for me. At first I thought I could make a new alphabet, more like a typographic experiment like an illegible font, but then I found the Gregg method of shorthand.
The forms that the Gregg method takes resemble arabic at times and are just visually appealing to me but what interested me most was that the indecipherable shapes of the words weren't in a foreign language it was just another way to write something in english. These are some words in shorthand.

I'll put part of my project up here when it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment